If you haven’t been to the group for a while don’t worry about it. Life can get in the way of writing so come back when you’re able for a warm welcome.
Get well soon wishes to Leisha who was unwell on Saturday and wasn’t able to attend.
- Evan is working on a number of new poems
- Gary is on chapter 10 of his novel Eclipse (21,500 words so far) while completing the edit on the Knox trilogy for direct publishing to Kindle
- Kerry has finished first draft of two short stories
- Leif has submitted No Ideas to Random House (after they requested to see it) AND has finished the first complete draft of Tales of Gyll
- Margaret has completed 3 short stories for publication on Amazon and has also completed her novella Hellstown
- I posted Relentless online and have started the first chapter of my first novel Legacy
- Tom is working with an editor on his first draft of The Commodore’s Daughter
No manuscripts submitted for Alpha or Beta reader feedback this week
- Kerry read an extract from her short story Jack and Annie
- Leif read an extract from his short story Hotel Felo de se (Available for free from Smashwords – http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/317201 – Please take the time to download and share feedback at the next meeting)
- Tom read out the second chapter of his novel The Commodore’s Daughter
No outlines, scenes or chapters were brought to the group for brainstorming this week
- Now – Here’s a highly recommend link to an article about story structure. http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012/01/31/25-things-you-should-know-about-story-structure/ (Contains a lot of adult language but is the best piece I have ever read about story structure – invaluable for the first time novelist like me
- Now – I’ve updated my own and the writers group website to reflect the changing trend that more people are web browsing from phones rather than PC’s / laptops. Have a look and let me know what you think.
- Now – A growing number of the group are now using and recommending Scrivener (the best writing app around?) http://literatureandlatte.com Well worth downloading the 30 day trial. Any questions send an e-mail and one of the current users will know
- Now – Calling for volunteers for the following committee positions. (All positions will be rotated on an annual basis and the core aim of the group ‘To positively support and progress our writing goals’ will not change))
- Chairperson – Chairs the committee meetings, represents the group externally
- Secretary – Handles correspondence and produces a rota of facilitators
- Treasurer – Manages the group finances
- Press Officer – Manages promotion and marketing to continually increase regional and on-line public awareness of the group
- 21 May 13 – I’m scheduled to attend Press and Media training and will bring back some suggestions to promote and grow the group (Tom highly recommends using the Larne Times Dairy)
- 7 Jun 13 – Ian Sansom is having a reading in Belfast. It costs £5 to get in but is worth going to see how a pro conducts a reading. I’m going so if anyone else fancies it and wants a lift let me know
Thanks to all who were able to attend and I’m looking forward to the next meeting on Saturday 1st Jun at 2pm.